Monday, January 09, 2006

Affairs of the day


Friday was the busiest day I have ever experienced at work. Normally the day begins easy and slowly gets easier - it's the perfect switch-off job, something that I truly appreciate as the rest of the time I am frantic with work. Having a part-time job such as this forces me to slow down and think about something else. A figurative jar of coffee in a perfume shop if you will... it resets me.

Not Friday. Brokeback Mountain (Bareback Mountain or "that gay cowboy movie" are the two most common mistakes) opened and the whole place was flooded with middle-aged liberals, all clammering to be the first to prove they're not homophobes.

Actually, its quite sweet. Almost all of our customers are lovely people and it is genuinely heartwarming to see people queuing to watch a movie that, even a few years ago, would never have had this much acclaim and notice. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

The Christian Family Association, or the American Family Association, or Concerned Mothers of America, or somesuch other silly institution called it "vile" "abhorent" "neo-Marxist homosexual propaganda." I love those fucking guys - people so utterly removed the philisophical and moral nature of their own religions that they knee-jerk react to anything not in their Cleanflicks version of the Bible. These are the same people who boycott companies for daring to advertise in gay publications - sad, little bigoted dicks so terminally afraid of having responsibility for their own lives that they choose to instead claim their moral outrage as the wishes of an omnipotent deity who will reward them with everlasting joy.

I find that a bit fucking creepy.

Anyway. I have such a love affair with organised religion I find it difficult to start hypothesising on the philisophical flaws contained within it. I love them, I really really do. Due to the falibility of man, anything that is channelled through him must, be very definition, be open to corruption. While the Bible is the word of God, it was been written by man and therefore must be open to interpretation. If you placed your faith, values and life in a belief system, would not the most logical thing to do be constantly question and deepen your understanding of that system? A literal definition of a text that by its very nature must be flawed is both stupid and dangerous... as I recall, the only dictated words from God are the 10 Commandments and they make a hell of a lot more sense than "man shall not lie with man."

I'll stop now. I'm sure I'm wrong on everything - my knowledge of religion is limited, I just have an overinflated opinion.

Had a great weekend. It was the birthday night out for my girlfriend Isobel. It was the first time I had met the majority of her friends and I was expecting, to some degree, a spot of prodding and poking and approving. Turns out I was completely wrong, they were all totally lovely and we had a great night getting rip-roaringly pissed. I couldn't help but sleep the whole next morning... everytime I tried to open my eyes or have a conversation I just fell right back unconcious for another hour. I think I was so utterly exhausted, and because Isobels street is so quiet compared to mine, my body just grabbed onto the rest and wouldn't let go. I feel much better now.

Sunday was grand too - went and met Isobels parents (bit of a surprise that one, but again they were really nice so I had nothing to fear) and then caught up with my best friend Ellie who I haven't seen in months. We had a great chat for a couple of hours, a spot of hair-of-the-dog and I was on my way. Tomorrow its back to work and I have a video to finish, but for now I shall revel in my relaxed state.

Peace.

No comments: