Friday, March 17, 2006

Global consumption

It isn't until I see production lines that I truly begin to appreciate the scale of the consumption of this planet. You can shout numbers and statistics at me and I will stagger at the dizzying heights they can reach but it gives me no true sense of scale. Only when I see the images of factories with their endless conveyors of tins / plastic containers / jars / etc / does my mind begin to think about how many tins / plastic containers / jars / etc / that particular conveyor produces each day, and then how many conveyors there in that factory, then how many factories there are in the country, the world...? And on it goes... endlessly... through transportation, raw materials my mind drifts to the consumers as I casually throw away another beer can whilst writing


I always think of Koyaanisqatsi and those slow motion shots of the endless processions of baby chicks being sorted, tagged and classifed and I just daydream about the sheer number of chicks required for that factory to keep running every day.

I'm beginning to think this world may be in some serious trouble.



currently listening to: Broken Social Scene - Anthems for a 17 Year-Old Girl

No comments: