Monday, May 08, 2006

A lost QWERTY opportunity

It was a day off yesterday and whilst holed up in a seemingly very nice (but actually overwhelmingly strict and disturbingly jobsworthy) hostel I endeavoured to write a blog entry on an unattended computer in the lobby. Being a Belgian machine (I forgot to mention, we stayed over in Belgium despite not playing any gigs there for another 5 days) it was a Belgian keyboard layout which confused the bejeezus out of me as I tried to come to terms with the Z being elsewhere and having to use the shift key to get a full stop.

After a good half an hour of typing with a singular finger I realised that were I to touch-type as normal I could create a new language - a modern version of the Burroughs cut up method, if you will - and proceeded to type an epic description of Belgium in my new half-words. Alas, being a Belgian machine from 1985 it was also a bit rubbish and it promptly crashed, losing my own personal version of Esperanto.

So instead of trying to recreate another babel, I shall simply list a number of things that have happened to me in the last few days.

- I found some blue Rizla, something sorely missing in both Italy and Germany.
- Stormed down a high street with a bag of dripping clothes muttering "fucking Belgian laundromats" - a sentence I am unlikely to to repeat again.
- Drank my bodyweight in lovely, but very strong, European beers.
- Watched the Oprah Winfrey / Tom Cruise interview in the company of 30 Downs Syndrome teenagers.
- Accidentally exposed myself to two chambermaids, one male & one female (total accidents, I swear).
- Saw Alan Titchmarsh, Stephen Fry and Bill Oddie in a Belgian plaza.
- Ate the worst chicken burger in all of humanity
- Ate the best vegetarian lasagne in all of humanity
- Watched the 65 road crew beat the Arctic Monkeys road crew at table football.
- Run out of books to read.
- Dreamt the entire story of the Da Vinci Code.
- Reversed a two-tonne van into someones car (not even the 65 boys know about that one).
- Sweated away all my excess fat in a Koln nightclub.

So, all in all a good few days...


currently listening to: Neko live


1 comment:

Dave Medlo said...

Cheers guys... nice to know some people are reading my words of wisdom (ahem).

Definately up for swapping some tunes, Seb, I'll get in touch when we return from the tour properly...