Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Different Strokes

Recently I have become figuratively addicted to a couple of blogs - both written by women, both offering totally different viewpoints about life on this planet of ours, and both serving as pertinent reminders of the variety of life experience.

The first is the much heralded An Arab Woman Blues which is a remarkably well written and personal insight into a "Middle Easterner ,an Arab Woman - into my 40's and old enough to know better." It is such a passionate blog, every entry drips with emotion and rage and the text is intelligent and informed. While news reports on the Middle East simply fill me with guilt and anger, this blog challenges every preconception about what I thought I knew and gives a genuine, heartfelt and terrifying insight into life in the Western occupied Iraq.

To contrast that I have also been reading News From Chilli which is the blog of retired lady living in Chillicothe, Texas. She updates every day, writing in minute detail about the trivial and important day to day affairs of her life. While it barely moves away from a well-written list of activities, it does give us a snapshot of her character and what life must be like being a middle-class, elderly American.

What separates News From Chilli from An Arab Woman Blues is the absence of opinion. An Arab Woman speaks her mind about politics, about equality, about imperialism and the invasion with striking clarity and an outraged stance, News From Chilli is happy to talk about her husbands fishing trips, her poker games and the haircuts of her dogs ("the girls"). Together they demonstrate the incomprehensibly different experiences of women, and indeed people, in this world. They also represent the fundamental relationship between the West and Middle East... the exploiter is indifferent, unaware and complacent while the exploited is angry, informed and indignant.

Friday was International Womens Day, and so to note this I'd like to compare a short excerpt from each of their blogs on this day.

An Arab Woman Blues

"I declare today "International women's week of Independence... from men."
And I invite you to experience it first hand the Iraqi way, the way it is applied in the "new Iraq."
By the way, any similarities to other countries are purely coincidental.

And since, by the authority bestowed upon me, I am the natural representative of God on earth, I will not only control your body and the way you dress ...
Did you not hear what I just said ? Cover this strand of hair now! Loose man that you are! Why do you insist on behaving like a slut? Have you no shame? Or are you just after your vain, earthly desires?...
That is it, be good so I can always approve of you and be pleased with you...
Sit straight when am talking to you and uncross your legs and keep them tightly closed... and don't interrupt...

As I was saying, since I am God's representative on earth, I also decree that you no longer have any political, legal or economic rights...Yes you heard me right.
What do you need them for? Everything you need is provided for, you are a father, you have your children ... and your natural place...


News From Chilli
"This morning, Jim and I took off for the new Bass Pro Shop in Olathe - at the intersection of I-35 and 199th street. He also drove me around the relatively new shopping center on the other side of this intersection. We made a quick stop at the Half Price Book store, but struck out on what we were looking for.

I took a book to read with me to the Bass Pro and ended up spending about an hour reading in a very comfortable rocking chair - in front of a fireplace. I did look around the store a little, but the rocker kept looking more and more enticing. Afterwards we headed east on 119th until we reached Metcalf and then south to 135th - and then to WilJenny's for lunch. The place was packed today with most of the business in the bar area as the KU game was on tv. Jim had a shaved, prime rib sandwich with beef broth for dipping - it was divine! I had the usual Louis Mueller - brisket with all kinds of extra hot things on it - hopefully I won't pay too dear of a price tonight, but seem to be doing okay now. We were back in Chillicothe about 3:00.

I had good intentions of not napping, but after having trouble staying awake coming home, the girls and I went down for a two hour nap. The Texas/Baylor basketball game begins at 8:20 - so I know I'll be up late tonight.
"

The internet is great, it connects you with millions of people and helps you learn about their lives - it can give you ideas, knowledge and insight into experiences you had never even considered before. It does make me feel awfully insgnificant sometimes, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should check out my friend Linda's blog "365 days of gratitude photoblog". It always makes me smile.

E x

Myrna said...

Are you sure that News from Chilli lady is Chillicothe, TX. Sounds more like Missouri to me. Being a former Chilli,TX resident--I'm just sayin'! :-)
You are right about the contrast in the two blogs. Interesting how our life experiences mold our perspective of the world!